On Tuesday, during TikTok’s first appearance before a U.S. congressional hearing, an executive acknowledged that the company does not share information with the Chinese government and has attempted to keep user data secure. Tiktok is receiving a lot of heat, and not only because of these accusations. They have also been accused of showing inappropriate content to minors and not taking enough safety precautions.
Senators criticized TikTok, the Beijing-based internet technology company ByteDance’s social media platform, and competitors YouTube, owned by Google Inc (GOOGL.O), and Snapchat at the hearing for allegedly having algorithms that are harmful to youngsters.
TikTok’s head of public policy for the Americas, Matt Beckerman, was the firm’s first executive to appear before Congress when he testified before a subcommittee of the Senate Commerce Committee. Republicans, in particular, questioned Beckerman about concerns regarding TikTok’s data protection.
The remarks were made during the hearing by focusing on the company’s advertising revenue, its security practices, and possible competition from other platforms. During her statement, Representative Marsha Blackburn (R-Tennessee) addressed concerns regarding TikTok’s data gathering, including audio and a user’s location, as well as the possibility of China’s government gaining access to TikTok’s data and TikTok’s decision not to disclose this information publicly. Beckerman acknowledged that TikTok might not resist giving data to the Chinese government if material were requested.
“We do not share information with the Chinese government,” replied Beckerman.
Under questioning by Republican Senator Ted Cruz, TikTok’s vice president of public policy said that the company has “no relationship” with Beijing ByteDance Technology, a ByteDance entity in which the Chinese government took a stake and a board seat this year.
TikTok’s founder testified that the firm’s user data is maintained in the United States and backed up in Singapore, while its operational data is stored in California.
“We have a world-renowned security team in the United States that helps with access,” Beckerman assured.
Senator John Thune noted that TikTok is perhaps more focused on algorithmic content than even Facebook (FB.O), with the app becoming notorious for recognizing what users enjoy and putting up those types of films quickly.
TikTok said it would be happy to provide the algorithm moderation standards in order for the Senate committee to have them examined by independent specialists, according to Beckerman.
Senators attacked the three companies on Tuesday, with YouTube’s and Snapchat’s executives appearing before the panel. In a show of cooperation, both party senators, including Democratic panel chair Richard Blumenthal, assailed the three firms for exposing youngsters to bullying and occasionally leading them to information that encouraged hazardous behaviors such as sexualized games or anorexia.
The executives said that their firms have attempted to provide a pleasurable experience and eradicate harmful or unsavory material.
Donald Trump, a former president of the United States, had sought to ban TikTok – a popular platform utilized by millions of Americans to upload short videos – from American app stores, alleging that it gathered information from U.S. users and posed a danger to national security. Tik
TikTok, which is utilized for social media by popular artists including Shawn Mendes, Ariana Grande and Rihanna, won an appeal against the ban in September. TikTok is headquartered in Beijing, but developed by U.S.-based Tik Tok Incorporated. Tik Tok informed committee members that it does not share user data with its Chinese parent company ByteDance. TikTok, as well as fellow video-sharing app musical.ly, had been accused of violating the law by collecting user data from children under 13 years old. Tik Tok executives said that Tik Tok was created with a clear “age gate” preventing anyone younger than 13 from using the app.
What are your thoughts on the issue? I believe that there should be more protections in place for children to prevent them from seeing certain content, and that an application with such a large user base should have more mod’s to guarantee that dangerous material is deleted. An application that shares data with any other person than the user raises questions about cyber security.
A YouTuber from Utah has been arrested and charged with accepting fraudulent claims from AAA.
A hurricane man known for a popular YouTube channel called “Matt’s Off Road Recovery” has been charged with insurance fraud and accused of defrauding AAA through his firm, Winder Towing.
The arraignment for Matthew David Wetzel, 46, who was charged in late October with one count of making a false or fraudulent insurance claim, a second degree felony, is scheduled for next week. AAA is accused of paying more than $15,000 to Winder Towing in order to cover allegations made with known misrepresentations between January 2019 and August 2020.
According to charging papers, the Utah Insurance Fraud Division was contacted by a consumer with a complaint about AAA. After an investigation, the division determined that many of the claims made to AAA had significant errors regarding the claimed services or tow locations, according to court documents.
In one case, AAA covered three claims for a vehicle tow to Salt Lake City, totaling $2,800. The claim recipient told the Utah Insurance Fraud Division that his automobiles were not towed as he had stated in the claims. The individual agreed to receive construction supplies from Wetzel and the unnamed person submitted claims to AAA instead of paying Wetzel directly, according to the allegations.
According to the allegations, Wetzel accepted responsibility for fraudulent claims in a phone conversation, stating that he had supplied towing services to the individual on separate occasions and asking him to file an AAA claim rather of requesting payment or billing the customer at the time of service.
According to the complaint, Wetzel also allegedly stated that he would provide services without immediately billing the person, then later ask them to submit a claim.
“According to the investigator, Wetzel said he never completed a project that did not have a real service associated with it,” according to the report.
In another case, charging documents claim that Wetzel assisted with a tow for someone who did not have an AAA membership. According to the complaint, Wetzel advised the individual to join AAA, wait a few days before filing a claim, and so on. The paperwork claims Wetzel advised the customer to obtain an AAA membership, wait a few days before filing a claim, and so on. According to authorities in Apple Valley, California, charges were filed for a tow from Las Vegas to Washington County when the actual tow was from Apple Valley.
The third instance of fraud charged in the accusations was for an off-road tow of a Polaris RZR, which is not covered by AAA, according to the document. The owner of the RZR reportedly utilized his buddy’s AAA membership and stated that Wetzel’s business towed a truck rather than the RZR.
Video of the tow and Wetzel speaking to the owners was recorded, according on the paper, then posted to Wetzel’s YouTube channel, which features videos of off-road tows.
The channel has nearly 900,000 subscribers.
A Norwegian YouTuber is said to have perished after tumbling into a lake while on a filming journey — only days before his 57th birthday in a video.
According to reports and a Facebook post from his reported partner, the Norwegian YouTuber known as “apetor,” whose real name is Tor Eckhoff, died after he fell into an ice lake while on a trip to shoot a video.
According to the Norwegian news source Verdans Gang, an American-born Norwegian died on Saturday after he fell into the water at Jakobs Dam near Kongsberg on Friday. He was 57 years old.
Eckhoff, a well-known YouTuber who has more than 1.2 million followers and 389 million views on YouTube, posted videos of his adventures in Norway, frequently skating on frozen lakes and showcasing animal encounters and picturesque landscapes.
Eckhoff’s most recent video, which was posted on November 22, is titled “I am Not Dead, I am 57 Today,” and it’s written in English. Over the last five years since he was 53, Eckhoff has uploaded a birthday video with a similar name to commemorate his age.
According to Verdens Gang, Eckhoff lived with Tove Skjerven, who stated in a Facebook post on the “apetor” page on Sunday that Eckhoff was going on a vacation to film himself ice skating for a video.
Skjerven wrote in the blog, which is in English, that divers rescued Eckhoff from the cold water and took him to a hospital. Despite efforts to save his life, he died on Saturday after doctors “turned off all the machines that had kept your body going,” Skjerven wrote.
On Saturday, police in Norway’s South-East Police District said that firefighters had rescued a man in his 50s from Kongsberg who had fallen through the ice into the water and that a rescue helicopter was transporting him to Ullevål hospital.
The South-East Police District declined to answer questions, stating that it is “unable to discuss an ongoing investigation.”
In his “About” section on his YouTube channel, Eckhoff stated that he was born in 1964, resides in the coastal city of Sandefjord, and works as a painter. He claimed to have gained 200,000 subscribers in August 2018 and 1 million followers last December, according to the page. According to the profile, the channel was established in October 2006; only a year after 2005 when the platform opened.
In his most recent video, which has been viewed over 1 million times and liked 57,000 times, Eckhoff joyfully guzzled alcohol while strolling around outside kissing a tree and lying in a tub of murky water. People are mourning him by commenting that they’re remembering all the time they spent watching his videos and hoping he “rests in peace.”
Skjerven was also well-known on Instagram, where he had 66,000 followers and posted images from his travels. Skjerven did not respond to a request for comment.
Our hearts go out to the friends and family of apetor, who passed away tragically this weekend. our thoughts are with you in this difficult time.
Customers were defrauded by the Chanel advent calendar.
TikTok users have exposed the low-cost items that Chanel included in their advent calendar.
Customers were defrauded by the Chanel advent calendar. Tiktok users have exposed the low-cost items that Chanel included in their 2021 advent calendar. Over the past few days, TikTok videos have been surfacing of the Coco Chanel advent calendar, a calendar that’s worth over $800. Although, the gifts included have not been equalling to a value of $800.
A TikTok user, @eliseharmon shared videos of her opening the product, only to be disappointed. Each video she has shared have reached over 7 million views, while the numbers are increasing.
She found that the majority of the items were low-cost and not worth the $800 price tag. Items included in the advent calendar are; a plastic bracelet made with cheap string, stickers, temporary tattoos, and more stickers.
The only valuable items to be shown are 2 red lipsticks and 1 nail polish.
Fans have now taken it upon themselves to call out to Chanel, demanding refunds and telling them they need to release a better advent calendar. Over the past two days, Chanel received intense backlash through TikTok and deleted their account. Throughout Instagram, backlash comments are on the rise.
Chanel has yet to make a comment on the products and the videos that’ve been released. Although, they continue to try and monitor comments through Instagram, and are trying to delete them as they roll in.